Featured post

You Are Here

The human mind is such a peculiar thing. It stores so many different things, from the most useful to the most useless; from memories to fac...

Friday 2 December 2016

Happy|| Part I

Hello, lovelies!
I hope your week's been great so far, and your last weekend even greater than that. This next weekend is just around the corner too, so that's something to keep you going.


This post is going to be split into different parts, so this post is the first part of the story. The posts are going to be numbered, so it'll be easier for you to go in a chronological order, should you want to read all of them.

The last post was a bit of a downer, but I guess it was necessary too; it was only the truth after all. Life isn't always made of happy and positive moments, and while there may always be a lesson to be learned, the lesson isn't always learned that easily.

But anyway, this post is different than that; this post is about one of the happiest memories that I formed recently, something that was an extremely welcome change in comparison to the extreme depression that I'd been going through for quite some time now. It's been difficult recently, to say the least.

So remember how I spoke about wanting to get out, to have a break, and to fight the right battles? I'll have you know, that I pushed and fought with my family to get this break, and lo and behold, I finally got it; though, mind you, this wasn't as effective in getting me back into the workflow as I thought it would be, but more on that later.

To be honest, though, I wasn't even sure that we were going to go, as the day we'd booked our flight for was already here (last Thursday), and we still hadn't received the entry visas for us; when I say we, by the way, I mean myself, my sister, and my father.

So I was 90% sure that we weren't going to go after all, because it was a bit too late, but seeing my sister's extremely reckless optimism, I had a 10% part of me that was still hopeful.

You see, my sister was practicing such reckless optimism, she had already packed all our bags the night before, and left only the hand-carry luggage to be packed once the visas were confirmed.

Her retort to my extremely sarcastic and cynical comment on her over-efficiency was just this: you will see we will go, and this will save us from the eternal panic of last minute packing. I laughed at her then but in hindsight, it was what made be hopeful as well.

Thursday rolled around, and I attended my classes as I normally would; I was hopeful about getting the confirmation message from my dad, but because I'd rather be surprised than be disappointed, I tried my best to quell the 10% hope in me, that had begun to die down anyway as the day went on and there was still no sign of a confirmation from my dad.

It happened as I was on the way back from the university: a single Whatsapp message from my dad, as I waited at the immigration window (Bahrain-Saudi causeway ftw), which simply said: "visas received".

Nobody can imagine my happiness at that very exact moment, and I don't think I'll ever forget that feeling of pure and utter happiness in my entire life; pretty safe to say that I hadn't felt happiness this pure in a long, long, long while.

After a very long time, my hopes had not been crushed, but were granted instead; after a very long time, it had been worth it to keep my hopes up, no matter for how small of a thing it was. I was extremely grateful.

My happiness knew no bounds; I got home, and I got straight into the shower, too excited to waste another second, and I didn't want us to be late, least of all because of me. So I took the quickest shower of my life, and I got out and collected all my remaining things to be packed up.

My sister, I don't think, has ever looked so damn smug in her entire life, as she did in that moment. I, very obviously, rolled my eyes at her, but even I couldn't help smiling at her triumphantly; it was a victory not only for her, but even more so for me.

Long story short, we eventually made it to the airport, barely made it in time; we were the last passengers of our flight to check in, and I can not stress enough just how relieved I was once we'd passed the final security check.

We'd finally made it, and it was all going to be alright, regardless of my extreme flying/height anxiety, one of the many forms of anxiety I suffer with on the regular. We were going on a holiday, albeit an extremely short one, but we were going all the same, and I was getting the break that I'd so desperately wanted; it was all good.

We arrived at our destination, the beautiful and ever diverse Dubai, and everywhere I looked, I saw the change and freedom, and I saw a world totally different than the one I've been living in. Worth it to mention here that this wasn't my first trip in the country, but it might as well have been because I'm pretty sure I've never been this happy to be in the U.A.E.

[To be continued...]
I will continue this post into however many parts I decide to split it into; please be patient with me, as I don't really know when I'll post the other parts, but I sincerely hope I do justice to what really are the most wonderful memories I've created in a long, long time.

Thank you!

xoxo,
Hera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've written what I think. What do YOU think?