Featured post

You Are Here

The human mind is such a peculiar thing. It stores so many different things, from the most useful to the most useless; from memories to fac...

Tuesday 6 March 2018

You Are Here

The human mind is such a peculiar thing. It stores so many different things, from the most useful to the most useless; from memories to facts to just absolute garbage that no one needs.

The question I ask you today is, if you had the chance to wipe away the contents of your brain, would you? The good will go along with the bad, no choice to pick and choose what goes and what stays; everything must go.

Would you take that risk, wipe out everything you've ever known, everything you've ever enjoyed, things that brought you joy at one point or another?

Thinking about an answer to this question seems like a good exercise to remind yourself of all the things that are, or have been, good in your life. If there was even one moment, just one, that you wouldn't want to wipe out, then you know there is at least one thing that was good to you.

Too often we tend to focus on the negatives, on things that might be wrong in our lives; I know I do. It's very easy to do it too, and someone very close to me said this to me, that it's easy to do so because it's always easier to blame the situation.


Always easier to blame someone else, blame everyone but yourself.

Why can we not look at the situation, assess it, and figure out a way to let go of the negativity? Is it because we've done it for so long now that this is what's familiar to us, this negativity that we've harbored within us?


Is the toxicity such a big part of us that this is what's normal?

I thought about this question a lot, and it made me realize that despite everything seeming so bleak, so useless, there have been moments in my life that I hold very dear to me.


These seemingly insignificant moments that are still etched in my brain, stowed away in a quiet, not-visited-very-often part of my brain.

I know myself enough to know that things that once brought me joy no longer do so; I know this and I understand this. However, if I rummage through my brain, and really look, I know I can go through all the memories and still relive those moments where those things did bring me joy.

Depression is never easy; it is terrible, and it sucks. It is difficult, and some days not even worth fighting it out. And that's okay. It's okay to not fight it out, as long as you don't give up for forever.


As long as you remember those quiet, hidden moments where you did experience genuine happiness. As long as you remember that you are still alive, still breathing, still here for a reason, whatever that may be.

You matter. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've written what I think. What do YOU think?