Featured post

You Are Here

The human mind is such a peculiar thing. It stores so many different things, from the most useful to the most useless; from memories to fac...

Thursday 27 October 2016

Better Than You Think

Hello, lovelies!
I hope your day is going swell (Does anybody even use that phrase anymore? I don't know. I'm old. Don't judge.). I hope life is treating you kindly, and so are the people around you. Everybody deserves to be treated kindly, right? Treat others how you'd want to be treated and all.


So a thought struck me yesterday, and I thought maybe I could share it here. You know how they say that if you dress good, you feel good? Well I thought about it, and this random thought popped into my head, and I have to admit, it bothered me quite a lot; it bothered me enough that it kept me company all the way to university.



While that saying is well and good, I wondered, what if you didn't even want to look good? What if you were that done with everything, that you couldn't even be bothered to make an effort, much less look good? What if you couldn't even get out of the bed? What if it was just one of those difficult days?



Well, if you're anything like me, and makeup is a part of your daily routine, then it doesn't matter much; I tend to get pulled into putting on makeup anyway, because I have grown so accustomed to it now, that without makeup, I look pale and sickly, my (designer) under eye bags that much more prominent. So there really is no "off" day for people like us, because unless it's an extremely, extremely dire situation, only then do I not bother with putting on makeup.



This got me thinking: according to this "theory", it must mean that if we have even one good early morning ritual, be it having a good breakfast, taking a shower with your favourite soap or shampoo, or putting on makeup, then there is something worth getting out of that bed.



As I said, for me, it's the thought of how much better I look and feel when I put makeup on every morning; it is the knowledge that this beautification process, is not for anyone but me. I put on makeup for myself because it makes me feel good, it makes me feel less gloomy and less cranky than I would be if I didn't take out time every morning to do my light makeup.



Yes, my early morning makeup routine makes me feel empowered, it makes me feel more alive, and more ready to take on the day. It doesn't matter to me whether I look good or not; what matters to me, every single morning is that such a simple act, can get me to get out of the bed, specifically on days where I really, really, really don't want to.



I guess my point is, find something, anything at all, no matter how big or small, significant or insignificant, that makes you get out of your bed. Make this reason be a reason for you, and only you; it shouldn't be for anyone's benefit but your own. Who cares that it might seem weird to somebody else in the world? If it works for you, then go for it, by all means.



Because at the end of the day, after you've exhausted yourself trying to win over complete strangers and friends and family alike, after you've cared the whole day about what others think, at the end of it all, you can be assured, that in all the craziness and meaninglessness of the day, there was one tiny thing that you did for yourself.



No approvals, no strings, no anxiety; you did it for yourself, and no one else, and so, no one can ever take that feeling and knowledge away from you. Because for those fleeting few seconds of early morning (this has no number of time attached to it, btw), you were your own person.



Each day, for even a little while, you lived for yourself, without any boundaries whatsoever. Embrace that feeling. Welcome it. And see how much more willing you are to get out of bed every morning.


Yes, you most definitely are. <3




No comments:

Post a Comment

I've written what I think. What do YOU think?